June 06, 2006

Instant Shock

Goodness, it's hard to breathe all of a sudden. It's like an instant shock to my system, just the concept of things being over, things beginning, school, love, life, ups and downs are taking over, but for once in my life I feel like I'm able to separate myself from it. This emotional detachment from outcomes is working indeed. While people fall apart around me, calling apocalypse at the end of the school year, I'm just sitting by while I get everything in order. There is no need to make the end of high school into a big deal, I've been wanting to leave for years.

But then... why do I feel a tiny bit scared all of a sudden?

I read my speech to Stuelke, the vice principal, today. He started crying. He said it was the best Valedictorian speech he had heard in all of his teaching years. Now, him breaking down is nothing short of a complete disregard of natural law. This man, to most, all right, to all, is more or less dead inside.

And I made him cry.

A good day, at the end of it all. My Google movie is finished, hopefully that goes over well.

Fun fact... The Disney character Bambi was inspired by President Harry S Truman.

2 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 11:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's this with you and tears?

I love you. I'm proud of you.

 
At June 14, 2006 11:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,

I'm writing from Open Source, a public radio show based in Boston and distributed around the country. We'd like to put some of your blog prose on the radio.

Last year we started what we hope will be a yearly tradition for us called "Blogsday." Based loosely on Bloomsday, which celebrates "Ulysses" as an evocation of the whole world in a single day (in Joyce's case, June 16, 1904), the idea is create a mosaic portrait of our country out of excerpts from blog posts written on the same day. (In our case this past Tuesday, June 6th.) You can find more information here:

http://www.radioopensource.org/blogsday-2006/

After assembling this year's excerpts we bring in two accomplished and agile actors to read them. I'm writing now because your post "Common Sense" caught our eye and we're interested in using it on the show, which will air live on Thursday night from 7-8pm EST. We really like writing that captures a particular time in someone's life, and your post certainly does that. Congrats on graduating and on your speech.

We can't pay anything -- this is public radio after all -- but we can guarantee a respectful treatment, a national radio audience, and a link on our blog.

A quick reply would be very appreciated. We're currently knee-deep in our favorite posts for Thursday's show, and would like to know as soon as possible which ones will be available.

Best regards,
Henry Shepherd

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home