June 27, 2006

Oops, I burned the fl-g.

Well, not really, but it got your attention.

So I was watching CNN this morning (I know, I know) and Senators in D.C. are voting today regarding a proposed Constitutional Amendment making it illegal to desecrate the flag.

So, let me get this straight. We're in an endless war with an invisible enemy, global warming is causing another huge tropical storm in North Carolina this very second, the government is a fit of bribes and corruption (nothing new, but stilll...) and we're dealing with FLAG BURNING!? I mean, does anyone even DO that anymore!?

Apparently not. The last court case involving flag burning was some drunken teenager last year, and before that, only a few cases since the Supreme Court protected the right to burn the flag seventeen years ago.

So this amendment... it's, um... huh?

It'll be right up there with the amendments prohibiting slavery and granting women the right to vote. It's definitely that important.

Oh, it's an issue of National Morality? I see, well, in that case, I can see why- oh, wait. This was the last major accomplishment of Randy "Duke" Cunningham before the Republican Congressman was jailed for taking $2.4 million in bribes? To sponsor an amendment to the 217-year-old Constitution? At least he's an expert in moral issues.

And who gets to define desecration? Can we sew flags on our backpacks? Can Old Navy still make t-shirts? Can I paint an american flag with my own blood and vomi- oh, wait, nevermind. Scratch that last one. Can we paint flags on childrens faces on the Fouth Of July? Do we have to start referring to it as the fl-g in writing?

Does anyone else think this is completely ridiculous!? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

82 percent of people recently surveyed said they would go back into a burning building to save their pet.

But would they save the flag?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home